The city of Aachen, situated very close to the borders with the Netherlands and Belgium is where I live. I’d like to share with you some of the things I love about Aachen and if you read on til the end you will find out about its best ice cream shop! 😉
Some of the things I like most about Aachen
1. It’s a pretty city with many nice buildings
2. I love the little stories behind all of Aachen’s fountains, statues, some of its buildings and landmarks
3. I love Aachen’s speciality, the Printen & the pretty window displays of the shops selling them
4. I love how Aachen lies directly at the border with Belgium and the Netherlands
It’s great being able to enjoy the culinary and cultural offerings of the neighbouring countries so easily.
5. Nice forests and fields on the outskirts of the city
Useful link: Aachen tourist office
The best ice cream in Aachen
I’m sure you’ll agree with me about the importance of finding nice ice cream while on holiday, but it’s also essential to locate good ice cream shops close to home! Oecher Eis-Treff is where I get my regular fix of good ice cream in Aachen. 🙂 In my opinion, their ice cream is the best in Aachen! They make it themselves, without any artificial flavours or colours.
They offer chocolate, vanilla, hazelnut and yogurt ice cream on a permanent basis, as well strawberry and lemon dairy-free, vegan ice cream. On top of this, they sell an additional “flavour of the month”. July’s flavour of the month was the so-called “Früchten” which is a delicious & refreshing mango-passionfruit-pineapple-lime vegan ice cream. Sour cherry, tonka bean, Aachen Printen, calamansi and stracciatella were all “flavour of the month” at one point or the other.
The flavours from Oecher Eistreff I like best are:
- chocolate – made with organic milk & chocolate. This ice cream has a very intense taste of chocolate! Lovely!
- vanilla – made with real vanilla pods and organic milk. This is one of the few places I buy vanilla ice cream from: it’s so good!
- strawberry – it really just tastes of good fresh strawberries, just the way proper strawberry ice cream should!
- Aachen Printen – if you’re not from Aachen, you might wonder what this is: it’s a speciality from Aachen made with different sorts of dark sugars, cinnamon, coriander, cardamom, allspice, cloves, etc. Oecher Eis-Treff’s Printen ice cream captures perfectly the taste of Printen.
Lately I’ve been trying out Oecher Eis-Treff’s sauces and they are also excellent! You can choose from raspberry, chocolate, caramel, strawberry or pineapple sauces.
Now after all this, is your mouth watering yet?! Head off to their shop in the beautiful Frankenberger Viertel quarter to try a few scoops.
A funny fact about Aachen’s tourist buses
Now to finish this post I would like to share with you a funny fact about Aachen’s double decker tourist buses: for those of you who have already seen these buses, have you ever wondered what the pictures on the bus represent & what their connection to Aachen is?
Well it seems as if Aachen tourist buses are doing some subtle promotion of the city of Nantes (France): why else would it be covered with images from one single city that is not the one where it is doing tours in?! Take a look at my post about Nantes and my favourite ice cream shop there and you will be able to see photos of two elements shown on Aachen double decker buses (cathedral + elephant)! The man pictured on the bus is the French novelist Jules Verne, who was born in Nantes.
So if anyone can explain to me the connection between those pictures and Aachen, please tell me! 🙂